● Present and share results of EDI exercise and EDI strategy with staff, committees and directors.
● Publish and socialize recommendations and EDI strategy with ArcticNet members and partners, and solicit feedback, review and tailor approach as needed.
● Select EDI and culturally safety training options for directors, staff and committees.
● Share the provided recommended courses and reading materials across the Network.
● Conduct a communications audit to ensure all channels and events have equitable representation of diverse members and that content reflects the goals of this plan.
● Continue to amplify North by North results and outcomes.
● Begin to work on a progressive succession and mentorship plan to address representation challenges, engage organizations and experts for advice.
● Explore ways to have Indigenous/Northern led evaluations of programs and activities.
● Create key performance indicators for each EDI Strategy goal.
● Create metrics for each goal.
● Establish necessary resources and budget requirements; create an operational plan.
- Create time on all committee and board meetings to review EDI goals and progress.
- Create EDI review process for selection criteria for research funding.
- Create an international working group and public statement to address safety issues in scientific fieldwork.
- Implement recommendations for Annual Meeting.
- Work on implementing activities that demonstrate active allyship for Canada’s Northern peoples and communities.
- Explore ways to support Inuit, Metis or First Nations businesses.
- Conduct quarterly review of formal complaints and negative experiences and take action where required and possible.
- Draft an approach for Indigenous/Northern led evaluations of programs and activities.
- Continue to establish succession plans, identify upcoming vacancies and expand candidate selection efforts to purposefully engage new diverse candidates, expand professional networks to work with diverse associations and organizations.
- Begin work with international partners to establish a fieldwork code of conduct and consider establishing third party reporting mechanisms.
- Explore cultural mentorship options and scan the Network for best practices.
- Create an annual awards program based on EDI goals.
- Promote selected allyship activity.
- Pilot Indigenous/Northern led evaluations of programs and activities.
- Create incentives and awards for research projects that are co-designed with Northern communities, fully embrace traditional knowledge, and answer science questions that are valuable to Northern communities.
- Review succession planning efforts, explore the option of having an EDI expert observe candidate selection process to mitigate bias.
- Track and measure who has completed EDI training, ensure directors, committee members and staff have completed training.
- Measure impact and survey membership to assess progress.
- Conduct formal Indigenous/Inuit led evaluation of programs and activities. Implement approaches that support the recommendations of the evaluation.
- Assess ongoing EDI training requirements; continue to share stories that amplify diversity and novel approaches to co-designed research.
- Review metrics and Key Performance Indicators to ensure they align with new member survey results.
- Publish EDI progress reports and review strategy effectiveness annually.
- Review demographics and diverse representation and create targeting initiatives supporting equitable inclusion of diverse members.
- Work with community leaders to further explore training and cultural exchange opportunities.